As your children get older, it becomes slightly more difficult to figure out which games to invest in. Will my child enjoy it? Is it a popular game? Will it develop my child’s skills?
So many questions pop into mind whilst we do our research and decide which games to gift our little ones. You want them to be played with, enjoyed and at the same time benefit.
This article has complied a list of popular games that will not only develop your 7 year old’s skills but also be fun to play with.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links below may be affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy for more information.
This game is great for those wet raining days when the kids are stuck indoors and they need some exercise done for the day. It involves lots of jumping, leaping and balancing! Look out for the challenges on the question tile!
- ENDLESS GAMES PRESENTS: The Floor is Lava! is a family board game that promotes physical activity, an active imagination, and engaging excitement for kids and adults.
- ACTIVE FUN: Turn every floor into an exciting “lava jumping” adventure with The Floor is Lava! Get your child up off the couch or away from video games with this fun interactive game!
- EVERYONE LEAP: Real entertainment and laugh out loud fun challenges the whole family. Popular for birthdays, holiday parties, or game night. For 2 or more players ages 5 -105!
It’s particularly popular with children who enjoy spy games. Develop cognitive skills as well as your teamwork and observation skills.
- ⚡️ FAMILY GAME FUN EVERYONE CAN ENJOY - Get your family off their devices and outdoors for nature exploration and fun playing yard games for family. Your children will jump at the chance to spend quality time with the adults in their lives, and you’ll enjoy it too. Camping trip is coming up? The game is perfect as a camping party kid activities. Stuck at home in your boring room? No worries - we have included 32 cards for indoor play too.
- ⚡️ BECOME A SUPER SPY - Watch your kids as they play pretend and transform from their usual zombie selves into clever mystery spies and detectives. They’ll learn secret handshakes and become Spy Master, Mission, and Base Leaders, they will learn how code and decode and how to communicate over Walkie Talkies in a secret spy language in code. Suitable for kids ages 8-12 and also adults and kids under the age of 8 will enjoy a simple play of Hide and Seek using Walky Talky.
- ⚡️ GET OUTSIDE AND GET ACTIVE WITH TRENDY PRO KIDS SCAVENGER HUNT GAME - Escape the boredom and keep your Outdoor Explorer moving! We will do our part with the game activity set and inspirational quotes. We count on you to lead by example.
The original 3D magnetic tiles are ideal for developing your child’s imaginative playing skills. The endless possibilities there are to create and build.
This STEM game is known to develop children’s mathematical skills, spatial skills and science skills. It is also durable, like lego and can be played with across several age groups.
- What’s Included: 100 translucent geometric shapes in 6 different colors. This set includes Squares (4 Large, 50 Small) and Triangles (20 Equilateral, 11 Right, 15 Isosceles)
- What Makes It Unique: You’re looking at the original and most celebrated set in magnetic construction! Features 100 classic geometric shapes in primary colors.
- Developmental: Certified STEAM toy, per Dr. Gummer’s Good Play Guide, in partnership with The Toy Association, for aiding in the development of fine motor skills, bilateral coordination, cognitive skills, executive functioning, creativity and more!
Lego is one of the most versatile toys for children out there. You can extract hours of endless fun from a single set of lego. It is unto the discretion of the child if they wish to follow the book to build or use their own imagination to build something themselves.
- LEGO Super Mario players upgrade and create new levels with this Creative Toolbox toy set featuring grass, lava, desert builds and 3 characters
- Includes buildable LEGO trees, flowers, hills, mushrooms, pyramids, signs and a Checkpoint Flag, plus classic look cloud and bush elements
- Features a fruit for Super Mario LEGO Mario, LEGO Luigi or LEGO Peach (figures not included), a gift box and a Super Mushroom with an Action Tag
Blocks are another example of a versatile toy for all ages. It develops fine motor skills as well as hand eye co ordination, whilst also promoting creativity.
- Beneficial to All Ages: Inspiring classic creativity and improving dexterity, this classic wooden block set and carry case includes 13 different shapes for your children to build to their heart's content. Their imagination will run wild creating unique masterpieces with the variety of shapes. Each the perfect size for children to handle including: square, rectangle, circle, half-circle, triangle, cylinder, arch and more! This toy can also serve as a "communication tool" for the young and old!
- High-Grade Quality: Hardwood blocks are sturdy, solid and safe for kids. 72 naturally finished and smooth-sanded hardwood blocks. Case size is 13” L x 12” W x 2” H. Packaged in a handsome, wooden storage crate for easy storage. Suitable for children ages 3 and up. Highly durable set for indoor or outdoor use including: lawns, patios, living rooms, preschools, kindergartens & anywhere else. Make your own dream castle anywhere!
- Development: Block play helps promote creativity, independent play, cooperative play, fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. When building, children must consider proportions, symmetry, size and more, which benefit early cultivation of concepts. This product is conducive to your child's imagination, allowing various kinds of combinations to be built.
This card game will develop your child’s strategic skills whilst also providing plenty of fun. It is quick to learn how to play and children can understand the rules pretty easily.
Each game runs for approximately 15 minutes and up to 4 players can play it. It may be necessary to point out here, whilst some parents may find the ingredients funny, others may find it inappropriate.
- Wildly Popular All-Ages Card Game - TvB soared on Kickstarter, surpassing the initial goal by 2,400%! A sensation at the Indie Game Showcase at Emerald City Comicon!
- Surprisingly Strategic - Basic gameplay is easy to master but the Action Cards shift the game into unpredictable territory. Exciting up to the very last card!
- Create by a Kid, Perfect for Everyone - Alex dreamed up TvB at age 7, but this crazy, fun strategic food fight is a smash with kids and adults alike! Ideal for ages 6 to 106.
This board game is extremely popular with children and adults, making it a great family game. Up to four players can get involved and each game will take around 20-30 minutes.
Being a maze game, it promotes strategic play as well as critical thinking skills. Even though it has a simple concept, it is a challenging game which teaches cause and effect.
- What You Get – Labyrinth comes with 1 game board, 34 maze tiles, 24 treasure cards, 4 vibrant game pieces, and instructions.
- Fun Play Experience – In Labyrinth, Ravensburger’s wildly popular board game for kids and adults, players find the shortest route through the l abyrinth to win. In the game, players aim to reach all their treasures and targets as they move along the board, shifting the maze as they go along. Labyrinth supports 2 to 4 players ages 7 and up and plays in 20 to 30 minutes.
- Easy to U nderstand I nstructi ons – High quality, easy to understand instructions make it possible to start playing right away.
This game develops your child’s logical thinking skills whilst keeping them busy. By asking questions, the players learn how to eliminate. 2 players can play at a time and each round of game takes approximately 10-15 minutes.
- Contains Two Plastic Game Units
- Contains 48 Small Face Cards
- Contains Deck Of 24 Mystery Face Cards
This classic game is an all time favorite. 2 players play a round which lasts approximately 10 minutes. The rule are easy to learn therefore a fun option for young children. It also develops problem solving skills since players have to plan their next move.
- RULE THE GRID 4 THE WIN: With this classic Connect 4 game, featuring a sleek modern style, players go head-to-head as they try to get 4 of the same color discs in a row to win
- EXCITING STRATEGY GAME: Challenge a friend to rule the grid! Strategy drives the competition in this Connect 4 board game. Line 'em up, block opponents, and be the first to get 4 in a row to win
- MODERN STYLE & COOL COLORS: The Connect 4 Classic Grid kids game takes the popular game one step further with a sleek style and cool colors to keep players glued to the grid
This codebreaking board game is an easier version of its adult counterpart. As there are three levels of play, it suits all skill levels from the youngest players. Players use their problem solving skills to crack the codes and find the clues.
- 3 levels of play make this the easiest Mastermind to learn
- Players take turns setting secret codes and solving the codes
- Jungle animal pieces add a fun element kids love
This is the shortened version of the popular game, ideal for young children, taking up to 30 minutes. This game will develop your child’s strategic skills. It’s a perfect board game for family night games, as adults can get involved too.
- A CATAN ADVENTURE FOR FLEDGLING SWASHBUCKLERS. CATAN Junior lets younger players experience the world of CATAN by introducing a simpler playing style. Designed for players as young as 6, it's the perfect introduction to the CATAN series of games for kids and families.
- ADVENTURE GAME: CATAN Junior takes place on a ring of tropical isles—including the mysterious Spooky Island, home of the Ghost Captain. Each island generates a specific resource - wood, goats, molasses, or cutlasses. You can also find gold. Just watch out for the dreaded Ghost Captain.
- STRATEGY BOARD GAME FOR KIDS: Start with 2 pirate lairs and build ships in order to expand your network. The more lairs you build, the more resources you may receive. Use your resources to build ships, lairs, or to get help from the wise Coco the Parrot. You can even trade in the nearby market. The first player to control 7 pirate lairs wins.
Another family strategy game, ideal for those wet winter weekends at home. There are 21 pieces on the board, and each piece must touch the other piece but only the corners.
It requires problem solving, thereby developing your child’s cognitive skills. It’s also easy to learn and play, saving time for parents. It promotes brain activity, thereby making it a great option for parents to choose from.
- The XL game board measures 12 x 12 inches – almost 2 inches larger than the regular game!
- Perfect strategy game for the whole family -less than a minute to learn with fun challenges for all ages!
- Players take turns placing their 21 pieces on the board: each piece must touch another of the same color, but only at the corners!
This card game offers children the opportunity to learn whilst having fun. You have the option of 50 cards with different animals, and clue cards. You have to ask strategic questions to help your opponent guess the animal. It makes a great travel game as well as boosting memory.
- Animals Skillmatics Guess in 10 Educational Board Game
- EDUCATIONAL AND FUN: Kids will love gathering friends and challenging them to identify animals from clues. It will take asking intelligent questions to win the game. Helps promote social and communication skills, problem solving, decision making, and crea
- FUN FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY: Take a look at the sample questions, then ask your own. You`ve got 10 chances to ask questions to help you guess the animal on the card.
Another travel friendly classic game that’s a favorite. It’s loved by both children and adults because of its realistic designs and details. This game provides excitement and suspense – allowing the children to develop planning skills that are used to destroy their opponent.
- A twist on the classic battleship game: This battleship game features airplanes in addition to Ships for awesome strategic gameplay and epic battles
- Sink Ships and crash Planes: with this edition, fans of the battleship game can crash enemy Planes in addition to sinking Ships to win
- Portable Game: the battleship game includes 2 portable battle cases so players can take it with them, and Dive into an instant game on the go
This family guessing game is simple but fun to play. There are 69 picture cards that you can choose from, providing sample question cards to help young ones.
It is a fast paced game, therefore limiting the chances of your little ones getting board. Not only does this game improve communication skills, but also deductive reasoning. Parents have also suggested it is a great game to improve speech and is often used by speech therapists.
This game comes with two decks of playing cards, and a folding game board. It is one of the rare board games that allow up to 12 participants, making it an ideal family get together board game.
It is also ideal for developing STEM skills from an early age. It is also known for improving focus in children, which is particularly useful for children who may have ADHD.
- Play a card from your hand, and place a chip on a corresponding space on the game board - when you have five in a row, it’s a SEQUENCE
- Each player or team tries to score the required number of five-card SEQUENCES before their opponents
- Easy enough for children, challenging for adults!
This game has two levels, making it easier for the younger players where all they have to do is match the letters to the words. This game will develop the players’ vocabularly skills, particuarly reading and spelling. It is also a game that grows with the child, as the complexity of the words can increase with age.
Your 7 year old can get their younger siblings involved with this one, as it is also suitable for preschoolers. This game develops social and emotional skills, as well as hand eye co ordination and one motor skills. It is easy set up and learn how to play.
- SPARK MORE TOGETHERNESS! Perfect for spending quality, unplugged time together as a family, The Sneaky, Snacky Squirrel Game also builds key early learning skills and develops social emotional skills including taking turns, sharing, and winning and losing gracefully
- BEST-SELLING PRESCHOOL GAME 5 YEARS RUNNING! Reinforce color learning, develop matching skills (a key early math skill!), encourage strategic thinking, and build hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills with this engaging, quick-play board game for kids
- A SWEET STRATEGY GAME FOR PRESCHOOLERS: Easy to set up, understand—no reading required!, play, and clean up (box doubles as game board and storage!)
This board game is inspired by a famous book series, so if your little one is a fan of them then this is the game to buy for them! Although it is suitable for pre schoolers, older children can get a lot of out of it too.
This game develops strategic thinking and problem solving skills, as players have to find a way to get the missing cupcakes back from the grumpy toad. It also develops good team working skills, and social skills.
- Best on the New York Times best-selling book Pete the Cat
- Board game for preschoolers ages 3+
- No reading required for kids to play
This is a balancing game, which requires the players to apply deep concentration during the game. The pieces are required to be placed with delicacy and precision.
Whoever fails to balance the boat accurately, loses the game. It provides adequate level of challenge for the players whilst also being educational.
- FIND YOUR SEA LEGS—Ye don’t want to lose your balance and rock the boat!
- PLAY WITH THE WHOLE CREW—This silly game is perfect for playing with family or friends from 2-4 players.
- PIRATE-THEMED EXCITEMENT—Great fun for kids with its pirate theme, adorable pieces, and tactile game play!
Up to four players can play this board game. It promotes creativity and develops imaginative skills. It is also educational since it requires players to use mathematical skills.
The aim is to become the hero and convince the drain to relight the marshmallow fire. It is easy to learn and play al though may be difficult to follow for the more younger players.
- CONVINCE THE DRAGON TO SAVE THE S'MORES - It's a race to become the hero of the kingdom and relight the magical marshmallow fire. Move your character through enchanted lands while overcoming obstacles and collecting precious treasures to be the first one to convince the dragon to come down from their nest to relight the fire at the castle! Suitable for 2-4 players ages 5 and up.
- SKILL BUILDING THROUGH PLAY - Not only will kids have fun playing My First Dragon Adventure, they will develop basic counting skills, strategic thinking, turn-taking, and social skills. Our games are designed to aid in early childhood development while having fun through hands-on play.
- STORY DRIVEN GAMEPLAY - My First Dragon Adventure encourages kids to get creative and use their imagination while the detailed board and themed cards help to form an adventurous story from beginning to end. Gameplay uses images and numbers from 1-10 to help develop early counting skills, with limited reading and simple instructions.
This game takes up to 30 minutes to complete and promotes strategic thinking. It is easy to learn and play. It is fun for the children as it involves geography, with names of detinations on the maps. If you feel the concept might be a little complicated for your little one, you may want to wait until they are 7 and older.
- ALL ABOARD FOR YOUR VERY FIRST JOURNEY WITH TICKET TO RIDE: Easy to learn and quick to play, Ticket to Ride Europe First Journey is the perfect introduction to the Ticket to Ride board game series. Climb aboard and discover a wonderful railroad adventure throughout Europe!
- FAST-PACED STRATEGY BOARD GAME: Players collect train cards, claim routes on the map, and try to connect the cities shown on their tickets to achieve victory. The game ends when one player completes six tickets, claiming the Golden Ticket as their prize.
- EASY TO LEARN: First Journey offers unique rules designed for a younger audience that retain the strategy, charm, and fun of the original Ticket to Ride. The whole family will enjoy claiming routes and completing Tickets!
This game contains silly nonsensical questions for younger children, the aim is to get as many correct in five seconds. The aim is to have fun and since it is a timed game, they’ll be lots of squeal and laughter!
- Fast-paced: Think quickly and name three items in your category before the 5-second timer runs out! This competitive element of our fun card games adds excitement and pressure, making each round thrilling.
- Family-friendly: Designed for ages 6 and up, these kids party games are the perfect game that parents, children, and grandparents can enjoy together. Share laughter and bonding moments with those you love.
- Silly fun: The rush to answer prompts in just 5 seconds leads to hilarious slip-ups. Whether the answer is right or hilariously wrong, the shared laughter makes every birthday party game memorable.
The junior version of this classic board game is a must have in your home for game night. However, if you feel your child is ready then you can purchase the normal adult version which is for ages 8 and above. This board game also promotes strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- CLUE GAME FOR YOUNGER KIDS: Introduce kids ages 5 and up to the iconic mystery board game. The Clue Junior game features classic Clue gameplay and a broken toy mystery theme
- UH-OH A FAVORITE TOY IS BROKEN: Oh no! Somebody broke a toy! In this Clue Junior game players use strategy and the process of elimination to solve the mystery
- WHO, WHAT, WHERE: Players try to solve the mystery of the broken toy. Discover which toy it was, who broke it, and what time it was broken
In summary, discussed in this article were 24 different ways in which you can keep your little ones entertained at home. Every game mentioned develops a skill, whilst also entertaining the children. So don’t waste time and purchase some board games for your next family game night!